Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Am I Too Young to Shop at the SAS Shoe Factory?

I decided to take a break from my not-so-busy summer schedule by shopping for shoes today. Unlike most girls, I do not enjoy walking the mall in search of the perfect pair of shoes. As I have mentioned before, I only like clothing and footwear that provide comfort and warmth. These criteria have worked well for me here in Colorado Springs where a person can transition from the workplace to a hiking trail without changing their wardrobe. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure my Chaco's won't be sufficient when I head to the theater in New York next week.

My goal today was to purchase a simple black sandal with enough of a heel to make my calves look thin and and my legs look shapely. As it turns out, they don't make heels quite that high. And, as it turns out, I can't walk in a heel much higher than a quarter of an inch. Couple that with the fact that I hate uncomfortable shoes, and you can begin to see my dilemma.

To make matters worse, I have a ridiculous list of shoe fetishes that makes shopping for footwear an impossibility. For one, I have no tolerance for toe cleavage. I blame this on my Southern Baptist roots. And Barack Obama. Number two, I don't like shoes that cause my toes to squirt out the end as if they are a party to some sort of Play-Doh Fun Factory event. Not even a toe ring can make that look right. Lastly, I simply can't enjoy a sandal where the heel causes the weight of my entire body to rest solely on the straps between the little piggies that went to market and the little piggies that stayed home. The basic law of physics tells me I'm right on this one. Actually, I have never stepped foot into a physics class...but if I had, it would have been in a pair of running shoes.

As you might imagine, my shopping trip only served to solidify my disdain for dressy footwear. I do plan to head out again tomorrow in the hopes that shoe manufacturers across the country have heard my plea for a comfortable dress shoe. Until then, I'm open to your suggestions.

3 comments:

Melanie... said...

Do you have Dillard's in CO? There is a line of footwear there and I totally can't remember what it's called, but they always put it near the Born shoes. They are a great blend of comfy and CUTE! If you don't have Dillard's tell Tosha to go scope some out for you and you can order them on the internet... Clark's and Aerosoles make some cute ones. Nine West has a line called Cloud Nine. I love shoes enough for the both of us (and a few others...).

Taleigh said...

Add T.C. Elli's!!! www.shoptcellis.blogspot.com

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

Unfortunately I'm not much help in this dept!! I'm just a lowly Payless kinda girl you see - with a few Target splurges blended in. Maybe that's why my feet always hurt!!
Mammy