Monday, June 1, 2009

Croquet, Anyone?

Today is the first Monday that I did not have to wake up to go to school. Unfortunately, my upstairs neighbor is unaware of my summertime sleeping habits and was nice enough to pound out a wake up call at 5:40am this morning. I love her. At 7am, my dreams of sleeping in were officially crushed when I received a phone call that someone would be showing my condo at 8:30. With this news, I was up for good.

I had hoped to spend some time hiking while my condo was occupied, but the weather refused to cooperate with my plans. Instead, I threw on some clothes and headed for SuperTarget because...is there any better way to waste time? I think not. On my way out of my condo complex, I caught site of a couple in the midst of some sort of meditation ritual on their patio. Odd...but, whatever. I drove on and began to reflect back on another interesting scene I witnessed yesterday at a friend's house.

After church, Kari and I went to Whole Foods for lunch and groceries and then headed back to her townhome so I could help her with some IT issues. Actually, she just needed to know how to create a playlist on iTunes, but I am rarely called out for any sort of technical assistance. I'm going to milk this for what it's worth. Since the playlist is for her wedding ceremony, I've requested to be credited on the program as "IT Support".

Anyhow, as we walked into Kari's house, I was immediately captured by an event that was taking place outside her back window. Apparently, Anne of Green Gables had flown into town to play a quick game of croquet in the courtyard behind Kari's living room. I wish I was kidding, but a teenage girl sporting some sort of prairie dress and a straw hat was in the midst of an intense competition with her sister and father. I attempted to take pictures, but the glare of the window created a ghostlike image leaving me to wonder if what I was seeing was actually real.
I watched in awe as I was taken back to the happenings of late 19th century America and wondered if perhaps this family was unaware that time had moved on without them.

Later that afternoon, I went home, put on my bonnet and watched an episode of Little House on the Prairie. I kid. I didn't wear my bonnet. Clearly, I'm in a position to judge.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

ah, Tiffan. you delight the soul. And I must ask, you do have a bonnet, don't you? b/c you can borrow mine if you don't...