Saturday, December 6, 2008

Rescue 911

**UPDATE**
For those who have inquired, my firemen might have been single. I'm not really sure. They were nice looking in a lovable uncle sort of way. I'm pretty confident that "posing for the 2009 Hot Firemen Calendar" wasn't on their list of to-do items that morning.

At 7:22 this morning, I was ripped from the clutches of a deep and peaceful sleep by the violent ovation of my fire alarm. Actually, all THREE of my fire alarms. My first thought was, "My neighbor's alarm clock is really loud today." My second thought was, "Did I drink a small ocean of water before I went to bed last night because I REALLY need to go to the bathroom?"

When I finally realized what was happening, my bladder and I frantically began searching my condo for any sign of a fire. After assessing the situation and confirming that I was in no sort of imminent danger, I made a quick dash to the little girl's room to take care of business...while still being serenaded by the reality that something was very wrong. Looking back, it saddens me to think of where I chose to spend what could have been my last few moments of life. I mean, really.

Even so...with all necessary agenda items completed, I quickly grabbed my cell phone and called 911. For all I knew, the condo above me was on fire and mine was next.

I ran upstairs to awaken my neighbor and to check the perimeter of the building all the while sporting the most hideous ensemble of clothing known to man. Because I'm a layers girl, I had thrown a William and Mary sweatshirt and chocolate brown winter coat over a treasured turquoise blue CFISD t-shirt that I received sometime before 1998. Of course, no outfit would have been complete without my grey Polk Panthers sweatpants, white athletic socks, and khaki Crocks. Oh...and my purse.

I continued the play by play with my 911 operator as I searched for any sign of a fire. I found nothing. After trying unsuccessfully to awaken my upstairs neighbor, I headed back into my condo only to find that the alarms had stopped...just as my doorbell rang.

I opened the door to find two of Colorado Springs Fire Department's finest...one carrying some sort of ax. I considered suggesting that he use it to destroy the three fire alarms that had wrestled me from a peaceful night of sleep but gave in to my better judgment.

I explained to them the situation, at which point they tried to convince me that I probably just needed to change the batteries in my alarms. To their credit, at that moment I DID look just stupid enough to have not considered that possibility.

Certain that he had correctly assessed the situation, the fireman with the ax climbed onto one of my chairs to change the battery in smoke detector number one. As he disconnected my fire alarm, he discovered a sizable amount of water standing in the cover....which he proceeded to dump onto my carpet. Apparently, a water leak had caused the system to short out, setting off all three alarms in a harmonious chorus.

Clearly, I was no longer the girl who didn't change the batteries in her smoke detectors, I was the concerned victim of a flood. Feeling somewhat validated, I squinted my eyes and nodded intently as the firemen began to debate the source of my leak. The conversation did not last long, however, and I was soon left alone in my leak ridden home considering whether or not I should contact FEMA. I didn't.

4 comments:

Melissa-D said...

Were the firemen cute? ; )

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

Were the firemen single?? Nothing better than a cute, single fireman standing at your door with an ax on his shoulder ready to rescue from the raging fire - er, I mean the water in your fire alarm.
I'm just saying....
Mammy

DEWS NEWS said...

You always make me laugh...Mick was in here and I had to read him your story...Mick said to pull the batteries out of the alarms and you will not have to worry about changing out batteries or leakage!
I suggest that you find the source of the leak and get new wall-paper out of it...that is what our Ukrainian neighbors do here if we do something STUPID and let water run into their apartments...they take us to the cleaners...and I don't mean to get their shirts done!
:)

Erin said...

Join the fun - I tagged you. :-)