Sunday, September 28, 2008

Blessed

Today, I turned 35. If you would have asked me twenty years ago where I thought I would be at 35, this is not the answer I would have given you. Don't get me wrong...I have come to appreciate this season of my life, and I love all that Colorado has to offer. But, I would be lying if I told you that the single life is where I want to be right now.

For my birthday, the Lord gave me a sermon that was a sweet reminder of how He has worked in my life over the past several years....and how He continues to work. Pastor Brady (LOVE HIM!) talked today about faith and perseverance in prayer. He reminded us that persistent prayer over a period of time provides us the opportunity not so much to get the things for which we ask but instead to KNOW the One from whom we ask. In other words, our prayer life is merely a journey that allows us to press in and know the character of God so that we will ultimately become more like Him.

With that said, I would like to take a few moments to focus on some of the lessons God has taught me through my singleness. The beauty of this season of life is that the Lord has provided me with TIME to focus on Him. Obviously, I cannot begin to summarize my entire journey in one blog entry, but I can't let this day pass without voicing my enormous gratitude for God's unfailing love and faithful pursuit of my heart. If He never answers another prayer, He has already done enough.

Lessons I'm learning while I wait...
1. God passionately pursues me.
2. He loves me unconditionally and with an EVERLASTING love. (Jeremiah 31:3)
3. He is my rescuer. (Psalm 91:14)
4. He is my provider...He provides TODAY what I need for TODAY, and He'll provide TOMORROW what I need for TOMORROW.
5. God carries the "former things" so that I don't have to...He will make a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. (Isaiah 43:18-19)
6. God is always in control.
7. The God of this universe wants to spend time with ME.
8. He is patient...even when I don't deserve it.
9. His glory is what is most important.
10. Contentment can only be found in Him.
11. I must depend on Him alone.
12. Delighting myself in God only leads me to desire Him more.
13. God is good ALL the time.
14. He is faithful.
15. My faith must rest on His identity, not on His activity. (Beth Moore)
16. The goal of life is not the absence of pain, it is the presence of God and the glory of God.
17. "Abandonment means to refuse yourself the luxury of asking any questions." Oswald Chambers.
18. God's mercies are new EVERY DAY!
19. "God is not concerned about my spiritual life. He is concerned about my life." Jay Strack
20. He will do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine. (Ephesians 3:20)
21. God can change stubbornness and a strong will into a determination to follow Him.
22. I am only a branch. I can do nothing apart from Him. (John 15:5)
23. As I search for a husband, I must make sure I am in a place where I want to be found.
24. I must trust HIS timing...not my own. I must wait for Him. (Psalm 27:14)
25. He is my hiding place.
26. My eyes must be fixed on Him alone (Hebrews 12:1-3)
27. He will complete the work He started. (Philippians 1:6)
28. How I live my life is a testimony of what I believe about God. (Experiencing God)
29. He will frequently bring me to a crisis of belief that requires faith and action. (Experiencing God)
30. He has chosen me as His witness so that I may KNOW and BELIEVE Him. (Isaiah 43:10)
31. He desires mercy more than sacrifice.
32. He is my confidence.
33. He is my Banner
34. COMPLETELY surrendering to Him brings COMPLETE freedom.
35. I am INCREDIBLY blessed!

5 comments:

Ashley McWhorter said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Conn turns 36 next week. How were y'all in the same grade if he is a year older? I just asked him that question, and he said you must have been REALLY smart or something. :) BOYS!

Hope your day was great!

DEWS NEWS said...

Love the post...am going to print off your points and ponder them...BUT where was the FUNNY part???
:)
I love you...You have TAUGHT me so much...you are a doll!!!

Stacey said...

love it, Tiff. beautifully written. happy 35!

Tiffany said...

For the record, my mom put me in private school when I was four which is why I am younger than everyone in my grade. I can't imagine why she was in such a hurry to get me out of the house. I was such a compliant and well-behaved child.

Melanie... said...

Happy Birthday! So bummed I missed the actual day. Truthfully, if the person was not formed by God within my body, I am uncapable of remembering the exact day of their birthday. A mental glitch... Melanie...