Friday, September 12, 2008

Ike

Like many others, I am glued to my television as Fox News gives round the clock coverage of Hurricane Ike's trek through southeast Texas. I hate to admit it, but I'm a little bit jealous that I am not in Houston to enjoy the festivities. Oh, we Houstonians like to put on our concerned faces and pretend to wish away a storm. But, admit it...there is a tiny longing inside every one of us that loves the hype and secretly attempts to lure a good hurricane our direction. That is, until it actually hits and leaves us to sit in the damp, steamy darkness with nothing to do but stare at each other and consume ungodly amounts of Little Debbie snack cakes and Fritos with bean dip.

Personally, I am waiting for the "day after" media coverage. Tomorrow is when southeast Texans will do us proud. Tomorrow is when we'll point the spotlight on our most prized citizens...the lady in a muumuu who clings to her chihuahua while floating down a neighborhood street on the door of a port-o-potty, the man with three teeth sitting on the front porch next to his shotgun and donning a Clutch City t-shirt, Budweiser cap, and Wranglers cut off at the knees. We will likely witness a live interview with an unfortunate victim who sports the thickest accent and an impressive fourth grade education. He or she will reminisce about the storms of old and relive the glory days of Hurricanes Carla and Alicia. Ah, yes...tomorrow will be the day that we shine. Tomorrow, the world will know why we are Texas proud.

2 comments:

Tara Powell said...

that is too funny! I am just glad that I am very lucky to have my power back on, I forgot to buy the little debbie snacks and fritos and bean dip!

Melanie... said...

So true! 280 miles away in DFW my mom had me convinced I too needed to hunker down, buy ice and prepare for the worst. We had a few sprinkles. Hehe...