Friday, July 11, 2008

Blinded

Mary


Neti Pot


So, I'm watching Little House on the Prairie yesterday. This is not an unusual occurrence. I LOVE Little House on the Prairie, and I'm not afraid to say it. Yesterday, Mary was sure her sight was returning. I wasn't as convinced. After all, I've seen this episode at least 37 times. We all know it was just her mind playing tricks on her. Get real, Mary! Anyhow...During a commercial break, I decided to address a minor cold with a little action from my neti pot.

For those of you who have never heard of a neti pot, allow me to give a quick explanation. The neti pot looks similar to a small teapot and is filled with a saline solution that can be poured through your sinuses. You literally turn your head, pour the solution into one nostril, and allow the saline to come out the other side. It's an attractive process. There is also the option to add a drop or two of aromatherapy to the solution. There are an assortment of products available, but I usually choose to add a bit of eucalyptus to the mix. Yesterday, I accidentally added 6 or 7 drops of eucalyptus to my saline solution instead of the recommended one or two. At this point, I SHOULD HAVE poured it out and started over again. But, I didn't. What can I say? The commercial was over, and Mary was awaiting her test results. There was no time for starting over.

So, I quickly proceeded to begin the miserable process that might have once been a form of Japanese torture. I'm not sure. Now, I'm not saying the unfortunate overdose of eucalyptus made a difference, but it only took a few seconds for me to wonder if I might be joining Adam and Mary at the blind school. I couldn't breathe. I cried as if Simon Birch had killed Ashley Judd all over again. I was sure I had singed every fiber of my being and would never again be the same. I stammered from one side of the kitchen to the other contemplating whether paramedics should be contacted. It was a pain I had never known before, and it didn't end quickly.

At some point during my agonizing fight for life, I decided I needed to finish my mango flavored Mix One drink. I don't know why. I guess I was just thirsty. Mysteriously, it seemed to act as a neutralizer to the prolonged burning sensation. I couldn't finish it fast enough. Within minutes, I was experiencing what Mary could only hope for...I COULD SEE. And, it wasn't my imagination. It was real. I could see the old Edward's house that Laura and Albert had painted for my homecoming. I could see Ma waiting for me at Nellie's. And, I could see Hester Sue and the other blind children. Suddenly, all was right with the world. I had a new lease on life...which was a good thing because it was just about time for another episode of Little House on the Prairie.

5 comments:

Melissa-D said...

Wow! My husband introduced me to the neti pot. It's quite an ordeal in itself. I'm glad you can still see!!!

I'm also excited to keep up with your life through your blog!

hockaday5 said...

Hey Tiffany, great to hear from you. Thanks for the blog, it is a great way to keep up. We experimented with blogging this summer when Dan took a group of kids from Waller HS to Russia. They posted daily about their trip and it was AWESOME. I am looking forward to this blog changing my life :)

Tara Powell said...

thanks for the laugh! So I am wondering how much of this blog will really be about Little House on the Prarie?? Oh, what will happen if they ever stop playing that show 100 times a day? That would just be a sad day for you and the other 5 people who still watch that show!!

Jennifer@starops.com said...

You are hilarious! Thank you very much for the laugh. I needed it! And thanks for letting me know you started a blog. Looking forward to more exciting adventures with you. This is from Jennifer Majors but I used John's blog account info to post the comment until I get my own set up.

Melanie... said...

Tiffany - I had no idea you had such a Little House on the Prarie thing going on. As I sit and type I am looking at the bookshelf at my very own boxed set of all 8 LHOTP books. You are not alone in your love of all things Little House. Love your blog. It makes me laugh every day.