Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Inservice Highlights

One of the best things about teacher inservice is the opportunity to take bathroom breaks ANYTIME of the day. This might sound silly to those of you outside of the education world, but it is BIG news for those of us who live our life dictated by a bell. It is especially significant to someone, like myself, whose classroom is a good thirty minute drive from the teacher's lounge.

When school starts again, my water consumption will need to be staggered in such a way as to guarantee there will be no need to visit the facilities during or between classes. Why not between classes? Well, you see, we have a three minute passing period. That's right, three minutes...hardly enough time to sprint from my classroom, maneuver through middle schoolers who don't understand that congregating in the middle of the hall MIGHT just prevent the flow of traffic, wait in line in the teacher's lounge, take care of business, and high tail it back to my room before the start of class. I have tried this for years, and what typically happens is something like this...

I rush out of my room at the sound of the dismissal bell, taking out a few kids in the process. I shout a quick apology and then move ahead with my mission. The consistent pounding from my hustle through the hallway only serves as a catalyst for an already pressing problem. By the time I arrive in the teacher's lounge to take my place in line, the need is so great I am bent over as if to greet the Consulate General of Japan. Just as I near the front of the line, the bell rings and I must return to class...defeated. I arrive late only to find my students in an uproar and my principal seated and prepared to do a formal evaluation....AWESOME!

For this reason, I plan to drink Rhode Island's share of water until the kids come back. I am going to the bathroom every fifteen minutes...just because I can. I'm not rushing either. The way I see it, I have 176 days of potty stops that need to be reconciled before my school district is forced to pay me overtime.

3 comments:

Melanie... said...

njAmen, sister! As if our job is not thankless enough, we can't even pee when we need to. I was just starting to dread the impending bathroom situation this morning. So, I'm with you - I'll savor every trip to the can until school starts. Melanie...

Melissa-D said...

I have never laughed so hard while reading your post! It's so true! I can't imagine only having a 3 min. passing period. We have 5 and I STILL don't have time.

My bladder thankfully tends to adjust as the school year begins. However, there are times when I'm sitting cross-legged and having my legs shake. The kids think I'm just shaking my legs, when in reality I've just got to pee! Ha

That's exactly why I rarely let them go to the bathroom. If I have to hold it all day, then they can too!

Jill said...

You bladder will never be the same after being a teacher...