Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mountain Views

Grace and Adelaide. Check out Adelaide's flip flops...I guess any two toes will do!


Burke


The top of Independence Pass


View from the top


View from the top


I spent the last couple of days near Aspen with Beth and her family. We spent a good portion of Friday at Target (always a great time) and the Glenwood Springs mall, now affectionately referred to as "The Hall". Then, we ate dinner at Beau Jo's, which is tied with John's in Greenwich Village for my favorite pizza place in the world. After dinner, we went back to Beth's and put my s'mores maker to good use. Truly, there is nothing more enjoyable than a s'more roasted over a Sterno can. I would say it was a pretty perfect way to spend the last weekend of my summer vacation.

An event worth noting is the fact that I finally braved the "treacherous" drive over Independence Pass. The reason this is significant is because I have a stomach turning, head spinning fear of falling off the side of a mountain. I think this probably stems from my many childhood vacations to Lake City, Colorado where my dad and our family friends would pile us into Jeeps and seek out the most narrow trails on the sides of the highest mountains. It was great fun.

I was reminiscing about our Jeep rides in Lake City as I cautiously steered my Toyota across Independence Pass. I can remember the fear and worry that would overtake me as we climbed so many mountain roads, in spite of my dad's assurance that he would take us safely home. I thought of how I missed the view so often because I was too focused on the unknown that lingered around the bend. Then, it occurred to me that our walk with Christ is much the same. God will take us down roads that might seem dangerous, frightening, and unfamiliar. Too often, we worry and plead with Him to find a safer route. All the while, He patiently assures us that He is in control...that no harm will come to us as long as He is driving. Somewhere along the way, we simply have to learn to trust the driver. Quite often, it is the narrow and treacherous roads that lead us to the most incredible views. If we are paralyzed by fear and our own lack of control, we will miss the thrill of the ride. And, we will miss the reward He has waiting for us at the top of the mountain.

1 comment:

Tara Powell said...

I like that post.... :) Glad you had a good time in Aspen.