Friday, August 1, 2008

Alpine Slide

The Finish Line


Darcy coming off the practice track


Darcy, Christy, and me before the big event


Christy is friend of mine from Tech. Nice shirt, Christy!


Bret, Julie, Rose, and Chris.


Rose and me



Paparazzi...they were everywhere!


Last weekend, a few friends and I ventured up to Winter Park for a day of fun and excitement on the Alpine Slide. My friend, Rose, went along...which is to say that we stopped along the way for coffee and pastries. I don't care if we were going to the moon, Rose would know a good pastry shop along the way. Big hug, Rose!

We finally rolled into Winter Park around noon, just in time for a picnic lunch before heading to the Slide. I would love to say the Alpine Slide is a carefree excursion for me, but I get serious when it comes to my sliding (never mind that this is the kind of activity that families with small children do on their summer vacations). I MIGHT have even pretended the people riding the lift above were critiquing my ride...as if they were thinking to themselves, "That girl is so smooth. Look at the way she takes the curves. She is fearless. Tens all the way around." Of course, Alpine Sliding (sure to be an Olympic event) would never be scored by judges...it's a timed event. BUT, there was a shaggy-headed four year old ahead of me who was threatening my quest for the gold. I had to change the pretend rules. I'm not saying for sure, but there might have even been some trash talking involved.

After capturing medals in all three events (the Alpine Slide, the Human Maze, and the Scenic Lift Ride), we called it a day and headed triumphantly back to the Springs. Good times were certainly had by all.

3 comments:

Tara Powell said...

I'm so glad you won! Was it victorious to hear the national anthem when you got your gold?? (why do they always ask that qusetion to olympians...duh?!)

Colwell Family said...

That shaggy headed kid might have been Madison. When we went last year Madison had 3 or 4 people backed up behind her... next lap Grandpa decided to wait until she was almost at the bottom before he went and he still caught up with her!

Callie said...

You make me laugh so stinkin' hard!! Your posts are great!!