Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back to School

The kids are back in school. It's hard to believe the summer is officially over, but I am glad to have the first week behind me. Our program expanded this year to include 6th grade. This means that I now have students who want to hug me before and after class....EVERY DAY! Apparently, this is part of the learning process when you are eleven. This also means that my classroom now looks more like a giant game of Whack-a-Mole than an educational institution. Seriously, I need chairs with seat belts. I haven't made anyone cry yet, but it is sure to happen. I was created to teach 8th grade. 7th is a stretch, but 6th is simply unnatural. Someone could get hurt, and it will probably be me.

Despite its challenges, I think any teacher would tell you that we have one of the most rewarding jobs in the world. I spent a year in "full-time ministry" only to realize that my greatest ministry is in the classroom. I'll be honest, this year is going to be one of the most difficult of my career. I am writing the curriculum for three grade levels for a class that is not taught anywhere else in the country. I have no textbooks, limited resources, and no teaching partner. I am already incredibly overwhelmed. But, I have the opportunity to make a difference in the life of a child. I get to love kids who feel unlovable. I get to inspire kids who are treated as if they are worthless by those who should praise them the most. I get to listen, to encourage, to teach, to make a kid smile who doesn't have much to smile about. Most importantly, I get to be the hands and feet of Christ each and everyday. From what I can tell, there is no greater opportunity and no greater responsibility.

4 comments:

Melanie... said...

You made me cry at the end, Tiff! Good luck with the 6th graders. I was helping out with our Student Ministry's Back to School Bash Friday night and the incoming 6th graders were bouncing around like they were in a game of Human Pinball. Exhausting! Keep me posted on the school year. We still have on e week of Staff Development before we start on the 25th.

Kristen said...

I can't believe you're back in school already! But it sounds like you're exactly where you are supposed to be.

Melissa-D said...

6th graders are definitely an experience. Just wait until January hits - that's when the hormones start to go all crazy!!!

Tara Powell said...

very well written. That can be some great inspiration on those hard days....you should print that out and post it somewhere.