Friday, August 22, 2008

Dryer Drama

It is Day 10 of the new school year, and I have already forced three 6th graders to tears. THREE...IN TWO WEEKS! This has to be some sort of record. Unfortunately, I cannot criticize their emotional instability because I too found myself in the middle of a ridiculous sobbing fit last Sunday.

My dryer had gone out about a week prior, and I was attempting to connect the power cord to the replacement dryer. Let me get one thing straight...I rent because my dad lives a thousand miles away and can't repair my appliances. It's really that simple. I still have no idea why this mechanical nightmare was my responsibility, but there I was...wedged between the dryer and the wall in my laundry closet...armed with a screw driver and a cell phone...ready to take on the impossible.

Tragically, it took a grand total of about fourteen seconds for my frustration to usher in the waterworks and only another minute or two before I was fully engulfed in the ugly cry. I cried for a variety of reasons. I cried because I needed to do laundry and had no dryer...because I'm single and have no husband to fix my dryer...because I teach 6th graders, and they annoy me... because the plans keep changing...because I hate the word "wait"...because I'm a Texan living in a foreign land...because the computers still aren't working...because the backpacks haven't been shipped...because I have close to 300 essays to grade...because I'm tired and overwhelmed... And, I cried because I was wedged between the wall and my dryer and wasn't sure I would be able to get out.

Toward the end of my breakdown, I talked out loud to a pretend audience and assured them that I was justified in my insanity. They listened intently and eventually agreed. Satisfied, I dried it up, pulled myself up by my Crocs, wormed my way out of my hole of despair, picked up the pieces to my phone, and called it a day. I mean, really, there are people who get paid big bucks for this kind of drama. I needed a nap.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Don't you just love a good cry occasionally though? It cleanses the soul. :)

And from one Texan to another, let me say that while I know it's a foreign land, it's such a blessing to be there! God has you there for a purpose - enjoy His amazing creation and brag on it to make us Houstonians jealous. :)

Erin said...

I am laughing because of how well you told the story, and because I can relate (it makes me laugh at remembering myself in similar situations). And at the same time, I can say "I understand." We just have to cry it out sometimes!