Friday, August 29, 2008

The Facts of Life


Recently, one of my eighth graders (we'll call him Joe) approached my desk after school to inquire about the work habits of a 6th grader. The conversation went something like this....

Joe: Miss Lechinger, how is Jordan doing in your class?
Me: Why do you ask, Joe?
Joe: Because he's my tutee.
Me: I'm sorry, your what?
Joe: He's my tutee...you know, I tutor him.
Me: OHHH, I see....your tutee.

Fortunately, Joe left rather quickly after our conversation. I needed to laugh, and I also needed to google the word "tutee". As it turns out, tutee IS a real word. Until that moment, I was pretty sure "Tutee" referred to an adolescent African American girl who ruled the roost on roller skates while playing referee to Blair Warner and Jo Polniaczek. Clearly I was wrong.

3 comments:

Melissa-D said...

I always thought it referred to another definition...let's hope for your sake that it's true. If so, you might want to open a window. ; )

Yes, I work with 6th graders too...can't you tell by the potty humor! ; )

Ashley McWhorter said...

Conn and I are cracking up. Thanks for the Friday night humor!!! :)

DEWS NEWS said...

I need help...I want my BLOG to look as cute as yours. I need to know how you got the cute background and how to get my friends' blogs on my blog site!
Can you help me or NOT???