Sunday, May 3, 2009

Goodbye, Ski Season!




A couple of weeks ago, a few friends and I had the opportunity to celebrate the end of ski season on twenty-two inches of fresh powder in Winter Park. We had an absolute blast! Despite my enthusiasm, I struggled to find my groove on the slopes. I'm not convinced that I didn't have a touch of the swine flu. I've heard that it's going around. Still, I pressed on...determined to enjoy the day. I even took a free mogul lesson with my friend, Brian. This was not my idea because...did I mention that I had the swine flu? Let's just say that Brian had a great lesson...while I spent my limited energy digging my way out of twenty-two inches of wet powder.

Regardless of my battle with what was almost certainly the onset of a very serious illness...and snow, we had a wonderful day. The weather could not have been more perfect, the crowd was small, the snow was beautiful, and I was with a great group of friends. To top it off, we stopped at Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs on the way home. I love me some Beau Jo's. Honestly, the pizza is far from great, but I'll dine anywhere that provides honey for my super sized pizza crust. It truly is genius.

Even better, our entire meal was free! This was what you might call a "follow up appointment" to our four and a half hour Valentine's Day fiasco. It would be far too painful to recount the details of that night, but we somehow managed to walk away with $300 dollars worth of free pizza...and 800 billion free calories. It was quite a bargain...so much so that my super sized thighs and I will be celebrating the beginning of hiking season as soon as possible!

Beau Jo's famous Mountain Pie

1 comment:

Julie Marler (Mammy) said...

Oh my gosh! When we lived in Colorado from 1982-84 we used to stop in Idaho Springs EVERY time we were on our way home to Breckenridge from Denver. Beau Jo's wasn't there that long ago - but we stopped at this little steakhouse that was so cheap. Back then Idaho Springs was a sleepy little town that had nothing but this steakhouse, some really old houses and a Ben Franklin store! The steaks were great and were like $5. They had great rolls too! Your post today brought back some fond old memories that I haven't thought about in years!! You'll miss it when you move back - but just be like Dorothy and keep clicking those heels together and chanting, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home!"